I occurred to me today that I hadn't actually posted about Jonathan Coulton
. Last year sometime, I followed a link someone had made to a great version of "Baby Got Back
". And since I had just joined Yahoo Music Unlimited
(which lets you listen to tens of thousands of songs on demand
), I looked him up there. I found his EP Where Tradition Meets Tomorrow
. If you are in the least geek-inclined and have a sense of humor, you owe it to yourself to listen to these five songs.
1. The Future Soon - "But I know that I'll forget the look of pity in her face / When I'm living in my solar dome on a platform in space"
2. Skullcrusher Mountain - Evil Genius meets Girl, Evil Genius woos girl
3. I Crush Everything - A lovely ballad expressing the lament of a giant squid
4. Betty and Me - Another one of those "let's make a baby out of DNA" country songs
5. Mandlebrot Set - Rockin' ode to the fractal mathematician
There are plenty of other songs you can buy and download directly from his site. He does plan to make money doing this, so try to support him, but:
All songs are in mp3 format with no DRM, which means that you can play them wherever you want. They are also all Creative Commons (except the covers and the mashups), so you should pass them along to friends, burn them onto mix CDs and re-use them in whatever non-commercial endeavor you like. There are still plenty of freebies here, as indicated by the smiley faces, and of course the Thing a Week series is free if you subscribe to it as a podcast. But it is my goal to make a living by making music, so if you get free music and enjoy it, I would certainly appreciate a donation.
Although I like some more than others, I haven't found one yet that I didn't like (even the serious ones). Check him out.